Sunday, 25 October 2015

Author Interview : Anya Valentino

Beautiful Anya! She is the author of ‘Misunderstood – Secrets of a Teen Queen’


Hi Anya! Thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I’m a Danish-American, independent Author doing everything myself (and I love it!), a passionate jetsetter in heels looking for new life experiences and insight for my upcoming books.

Currently I’m living in Copenhagen, Denmark, married to an eccentric, American Artist and Idealist. I have a spontaneous and busy lifestyle as a Customer Loyalty Consultant. But also hosting and attending social events, dinner parties, get-togethers, semi-professional dancing and traveling whenever I get the opportunity. I’m a businesswoman and a new mom of twins so nothing gets boring in my life!

The stories I write usually give an alternative view on the subjectively perceived reality from different character’s viewpoint, and the characters are colorful and never just “black and white”. I’m a fan of irony and set the story, characters and storyline into a larger life perspective adding a good dash of drama, suspense, romance and humor with a twist.

You never know where the story might take you!


So, what have you written?
(*Include books, novellas, short stories, poems, blogs, awards or anything of interest.)
As a new author ‘Misunderstood – Secrets of a Teen Queen’ is my first completed and published novel in 2015. Currently, I’m working on the sequel in the ‘Misunderstood’-series as well as two other books.

Moreover, I have written a poem collection telling the love story and journey of love across borders (about my husband and I), however, unpublished. Also, I have created a collection of fairytales with a modern twist and reflections on life based on real-life experiences set into a fairytale-like universe that I cherish. Unfortunately, I’m currently not planning on publishing this either.

Where can we buy or see them? (* include American, European and any other relevant links. Free, free promotions or prices can be included)
You can buy, download a free sample and read more about my book ‘Misunderstood – Secrets of a Teen Queen’, me as an author, blurbs about the book, news, reviews, interviews and more on my website: anyavalentino.com


You can also buy the book here:


When did you decide to become a writer and what made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
Becoming a writer wasn’t a decision I made from one day to another. I’ve always been creative drawing and painting, especially portraits, as well as writing short stories on a personal plan among other things.


Seriously starting to write began as a seed in my mind on a travel to LA back in 2008, when I met my husband but also a special man named Elliott. Elliott was at that point a stranger, but is now my muse, who is with me in the back of my mind when writing although he is no longer physically with us on this earth. On my website you can read this story in short.


Do you write full-time or part-time and do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
On a weekly basis, I’m a fulltime Loyalty Consultant, project manager and advisor for a small Danish company. At home I’m a twin mom, so basically, I write on my books or work professionally as an author (promotion, PR etc.) whenever I can, which to me usually means when I’m not working or when my twins are sleeping.


Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
Currently, I can’t say that I’m reading a lot as I’m busy establishing myself as an author, but I really enjoy reading and I usually read a little before going to bed.


If I were to list my favorite authors or books, I can mention Paulo Coelho, author of “The Alchemist”, His Holiness the Dalai Lama and a numerous number of books by him like “The Art of Happiness” as well as James Redfield, author of “The Celestine Prophecy”, which are books that has inspired me a lot.

Moreover, I can mention Sophie Kinsella author of “Shopaholic”-series, which is a very fun and girly read like ‘Misunderstood’.


For your own reading, do you prefer eBooks or traditional paper/hard back books?
Traditionally, I’ve always preferred having a physical book in my hands. However, being on the go, working, traveling etc. but always having my iPad or iPhone with me, I’ve come to appreciate the convenience of going online and find and read a book whenever it suits me. Therefore I’ve gotten more and more used to reading books this way even if I still really treasure my bookshelves as well.


What book/s are you currently reading?
I’m currently reading Dalai Lama’s ”The Universe in a Single Atom - The Convergence of Science and Spirituality” and as I’m still a new mom, “The Wonderful Weeks”.


How are you publishing this book and why?
(*e.g. Indie, traditional or both)
As mentioned, I am an independent author as I wanted to do everything my own way and I’ve published ‘Misunderstood – Secrets of a Teen Queen’ as an e-book in an ePub and mobi-version.

Currently, I’m getting to know the online book marketplace, but I’m planning on releasing my novel ‘Misunderstood’ as a Print-On-Demand version as well.


What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around?
I love the freedom and challenge of being an independent author and publisher doing everything myself just the way I want it!
That being said, it requires the ability to “kill your darlings”, a strong and reliable social network, get insight into the online book industry, understand your readers and remember to hire the right people for things like editing, cover design, ePub/mobi-conversions, marketing, PR etc. if you are serious about your book and your writing.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Watch out! You haven’t seen the last of Teen Queen, Enya Utzon! ;-)



How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Readers can follow me, get insight, updates and news about my work on my website and on these social media:

My website: anyavalentino.com



THANK YOU SO MUCH ANYA!
XOXO